welcome to kingfishers' class page
Class Teacher: Mrs Natasha Warren
Higher Level Teaching Assistant: Mrs Carolyn Ireland
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Manttan
our learning in this SUMMER term 2018
English - Talk 4 Writing
We will be:
- Planning, drafting, editing and evaluating our own explanation texts, using the text 'Until I Met Dudley' as inspiration
English - Reading
- We will be finishing reading The Firework Maker's Daughter by Philip Pullman and then stating The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit
- We will be looking at different examples of explanation texts and identifying the main features
We will be:
Securing multiplication and division
- Deepening understanding of multiplication and division
- Representing and solve multiplication and division problems
- Representing and solve multi-step multiplication and division word problems
- Multiplying 2-digit numbers by six and eight (with regrouping)
Exploring calculation strategies and place value
- Applying a range of strategies to mentally calculate addition
- Applying a range of strategies to mentally calculate subtraction
- Applying addition and subtraction calculation strategies within a context
- Using complementary addition to calculate the difference
- Using commutativity and associativity for mental multiplication
- Identifying multiplications that can be performed mentally using doubling and halving
- Reading, writing and representing 4-digit numbers
- Ordering and comparing 4-digit numbers
- Finding 1000 more and 1000 less than a given number
- Rounding (multiples of ten) to the nearest 1000
We will be:
- Working scientifically
Comparing how things move on different surfaces.
Noticing that some forces need contact between two objects, but magnetic forces can act at a distance.
Observing how magnets attract or repel each other and attract some materials and not others.
Comparing and group together a variety of everyday materials on the basis of whether they are attracted to a magnet, and identify some magnetic materials.
Describing magnets as having two poles.
Predicting whether two magnets will attract or repel each other, depending on which poles are facing.
Topic - Exning Life
This will be a topic taught mainly through History and Geography. We will be looking at our local village of Exning and finding out about it's history. We will be looking at the land use and how it has changed over time.
Kingfishers' Useful Links
NCETM - This will require you to sign up (which is free)
https://www.ncetm.org.uk/resources/41211 - Link to curriculum objectives which you can click on for example activities.
https://www.ncetm.org.uk/public/files/23305581/Mastery_Assessment_Y3_Low_Res.pdf - The Year 3 Mastery publication. We have used some of these in our maths lesson this year.
Nrich - This is a good website for problem solving activities.
http://nrich.maths.org/content/id/9445/KS2CurriculumLinkedtoNRICHJuly16.pdf - This link takes you to a curriculum overview with links for different strands, sorted by year group.
'Mathematical challenges for more able pupils' - an old curriculum document but still great for maths games/ problem solving activities.
If you would like to contact Mrs Warren, please message her on Class Dojo or email: email@example.com