welcome to kestrels' class page
Class Teachers: Mrs Segust & Mrs Waites
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Nunn
OUR LEARNING IN THE AUTUMN TERM
Topic - A Road Trip to America
We will be learning about North and South America with Geography and Art being our lead subjects (please see our long term plan for details of curriculum coverage).
Multiplication & Division
- To use place value and known and derived facts to multiply mentally
- To use place value and known and derived facts to divide mentally
- To use the distributive law to multiply a 2-digit number by a 1-digit number
- To use the associative law to multiply three 1-digit numbers
- To use knowledge of multiplication to find missing numbers
- To use short multiplication to multiply a 3-digit number by a 1-digit number (regrouping from the ones to the tens column)
- To use short multiplication to multiply a 3-digit number by a 1-digit number (regrouping in any column)
- To use short multiplication to multiply any 3-digit number by a 1-digit number
- To use short division to divide a 4-digit number by a 1-digit number (regrouping from the tens to the ones)
- To use short division to divide a 4-digit number by a 1-digit number (regrouping from the hundreds to the tens, and from the thousands to the hundreds)
- To use short division to divide a 4-digit number by a 1-digit number (when the digit being divided is less than the divisor)
- To use short division to divide a 4-digit number by a 1-digit number (regrouping in every column)
DISCRETE & CONTINUOUS DATA
- To read, interpret and compare pictograms.
- To construct pictograms
- To read, interpret and compare bar charts
- To construct a bar chart
- To read and interpret time graphs (temperature/time)
- To construct a time graph (temperature/time)
- To interpret time graphs (distance/ time)
- To construct a time graph (distance/ time)
- To compare data using a time graph (distance/ time)
Our core text this term for whole class reading is The Butterfly Lion By Michael Morpurgo. We are reading and discussing the text everyday.
We are analysing the text in different roles
- The Clarifyers- Clarify word meaning and phrases that we are unsure of.
- The Questioners - ask questions to help us understand the text more. It could be questions for characters or for the author.
- The Predictors - Make predictions about the text based upon what we have read previously.
- The Summarisers - Summarise the paragraph, page or chapter ensuring we we talk about themes rather than retelling small details.
We are continuing to enjoy reading to move up the Diamond Quest and celebrate this on Class Dojo accordingly.
In Talk 4 Writing we will be looking at 'Lazy Jack' ready to imitate and innovate our own adventure stories based upon an adaptation of the traditional tale.
In SPAG we are learning to use paragraphs and speech marks accurately.
We are continuing to join our letters and produce neat letters with clear ascenders and descenders to help children to earn their pen licences.
We are continuing with our Spelling Challenges to help us to learn tricky words known as Common Exception Words. We are learning these at home and in school and when the children are ready they can request a spelling challenge dictation to move up to the next level.