welcome to kestrels' class page
Class Teachers: Mrs Waites and Mrs Spencer
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Nunn
OUR LEARNING IN THE Summer TERM
Topic - Computing and Coding
This term's topic is all about computing, coding and DT. We will be looking at coding using IPADs, programming games and using sequences to create LED light circuits for a DT project (please see our long term plan for details of curriculum coverage).
AREA AND PERIMETER
- To measure and calculate the perimeter of rectangles in centimetres and millimetres.
- To draw rectangles with differing perimeters in cm and mm
- To calculate the perimeter of rectangles in metres and centimetres.
- To measure and calculate the perimeter of composite rectilinear shapes in centimetres and millimetres.
- To measure and calculate the perimeter of composite rectilinear shapes in metres and centimetres.
- To understand that area is a measure of surface and that it is measured in square units
- To find the area of rectangles
- To calculate and compare the area of rectangles (including squares), using square centimetres
- To calculate and compare the area of rectangles (including squares) using square metres
- To investigate the relationship between area and perimeter
Solving Measure and Money Problems
- To choose and use appropriate units of measure for capacity, length and mass
- To convert between millimetres and centimetres
- To convert between centimetres and metres
- To convert between units of measurement
- To plan and solve problems by; Understanding the problem, planning the solution and finding the answer.
In English lessons, we will be exploring poetry. We will be learning, identifying and using metaphors, similes, alteration and onomatopoeia. We will be writing and performing our own poetry. Later in the half term will be using 'talk for writing' to understand and write explanation texts. This will link with our computing and coding topic.
We continue to ensure our spelling and grammatical accuracy is as good as possible and will be addressing this daily. Spelling challenges will continue to be learned at home, allowing children to ask for a spelling challenge assessment in school and a move up to the next level. Handwriting will also continue to be checked and corrected where appropriate, such as ensuring the 'tails' of letters f, g, j, p, q and y all descend below the line.
Our core text this term for our daily whole class reading is 'The Silver Sword' by Ian Serraillier.
We are analysing the text in different roles
- The Clarifiers- Clarify words that excite us!
- The Questioners - Ask questions to help us understand the text more. It could be questions for characters or for the author.
- The Predictors - Make predictions about the text based upon what we have read previously.
- The Summarisers - Discussing common themes within the book.
We are continuing our Diamond Quest and will be acknowledging and celebrating this on Class Dojo.