welcome to goldfinches' class page
Class Teacher: Mrs White
Higher Level Teaching Assistant: Mrs Donald
our learning in the spring 2 term
This half term our topic is African Safari
Please see our Long Term Plans for more details of the subjects taught through our topic.
in Maths we are ...
In english we are ...
Numbers within 1000
- To recognise the place value of each digit in a 3-digit number
- To be able to show the value of a 3-digit number in more than one way
- To compare numbers within 1000 using the <, > and = signs
- To accurately read scales within 1000 units
Measuring capacity and volume
- To be able to read the temperature in degree Celsius on a thermometer
- To be able to take and read the temperature in degree Celsius
- To understand the concept of litres
- To estimate and measure in litres
- To solve word problems that involve litres
- To understand the concept of millilitres
- To compare millilitres and litres using fractions
- To be able to compare and order millitlitres and litres
- To apply number bonds and derive related facts to 1000
- To solve word problems about capacity and volume
- To be able to weigh and compare objects in kilograms
- To be able to interpret scales labelled in grams and compare the mass of objects in grams
- To apply addition and subtraction in the context of mass
- To solve multiplication and division problems about mass
- To consolidate knowledge of mass through investigations
Writing: Fiction / Poetry
Spelling and Grammar
- progressing through our Rocket Spelling Challenges, spelling words correctly in dictated sentences
- Learning spelling rules for suffixes -ness, -ment, -ful and -less
- Looking at question marks and commas in our writing
- Understanding the differences between statements, commands, exclamations and questions
- reading non-fiction texts related to our topic
- reading our class reader and using this as a basis for our English lessons
- reading poetry books and learning some poems by heart
- enjoying our School Library and Class Reading Area
Our Class Reader
We will be reading Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl
Please see below for videos to help your child's learning in these areas.
Thinking Blocks - an app designed to help embed understanding of bar models.
BBC Dance Mat Typing - practise your typing skills with this great activity
KS1 BBC Bitesize Literacy - lots of fun activities to practise spelling, punctuation, grammar and much, much more
KS1 BBC Bitesize Maths - practise all areas of your maths with these exciting activities
KS1 BBC Bitesize Science - learn more about Science with this range of activities
BBC Bitesize KS1 Education - great videos looking at all areas of the curriculum, including some really useful explanations of grammatical terminology.